Saturday, 5 March 2016

The Midwife's Daughter Chapter 9


Dafied suddenly burst into Ulrich’s little room shouting, ‘Come on, you should have woken an hour ago.’
Ulrich snatched his hands out from underneath the blanket and felt himself blushing.
‘Make haste,’ his uncle ordered, ‘prepare your pack and then go to the White Mare and fetch Peta,’ then he left without adding any more.
Ulrich sighed with relief, he had been terrified that Dafied had spotted the quivering of his hands under the blankets.  Now he was sure his uncle had been in too much of a rush to notice.  With warmth of the whore’s body and the smell of her perfume still fresh in his mind, the temptation to resume what he had been doing was strong.  The ache between his thighs needed to be relieved, but if he did not do as he had been ordered he would be in more trouble.
Ulrich got out of the bed and gathered his discarded clothes, and started to don them.  The small room had been intended to be a punishment for his antics the previous evening, but the comfortable bed had been a luxury after sleeping rough since leaving Twofords.  Ulrich suspected that he had really been put into this room because it was adjacent to Dafied’s, and his uncle would be able to keep a close watch on him.
He could not quite understand why Dafied had been so cross about him leaving the garrison, after all, he had finished his chores and it was his own time.  What was so wrong that Dafied had forgone a night with Eloise?
That was another thing; Dafied had prevented him from spending a little time with a girl of easy virtue when the immaculate Eloise turned out to be the biggest whore of the lot.
He stuffed his pack and left it upon the bed for Werner to collect and set off for the White Mare.
When he arrived, he found Peta waiting with Eloise in the bar.  Ulrich had imagined that it would be a mess with the remains of the previous night’s session cluttering the place.  However, Eloise and her staff must have cleaned up before retiring to bed.
Ulrich tried to hide his surprise at seeing Peta wearing trousers again.  The woman did not hide her gender, she wore a blouse and bodice, but the combination looked incongruous.  Eloise on the other hand wore a loose blouse and a rough skirt.  Her clothes were simple, but tidy and comfortable.
‘Good morning,’ Eloise greeted him, ‘is your uncle not here?’
‘No,’ Ulrich replied curtly.
Eloise’s face fell, her disappointment clearly visible.  She stood up and approached Ulrich.  She leant across and was about to kiss him, when he turned to Peta.
‘We need to hurry, Uncle Dafied wants us to be on our way,’ he said.  Ulrich strode across to Peta and picked up her pack.
‘What’s the matter, Ulrich,’ Eloise asked.
Ulrich did not know what to say, he still felt cheated.
‘Is it because of what I do?’
‘Yes, I mean no.  It’s that I didn’t know.’
‘But I thought you knew; the rest of your family does.’
Ulrich looked at her, his mouth open.  His mother knew that her brother was in love with a whore.  His mother was so upright and proper.  She would tell him off if he ever showed the slightest sign of immodesty.  She would chastise him whenever he enquired about what happens between a man and wife in their bed.  She had always talked scornfully of the village girls who hung around the boys, especially those that would find pretexts to call upon the smithy and flirt with him.  Then he finds out she knew that the woman she has been pushing his uncle to marry was a whore.
‘Why did he stop me, last night,’ Ulrich said, ‘When he sleeps with a whore himself?’
Ulrich cursed himself when he saw Eloise flinch at his description of her.
‘It’s your mother,’ Peta said, ‘She wants to keep you a boy.  She doesn’t want you to become,’ she paused, ‘a man.’
‘I know Dafied would not have stopped you otherwise,’ Eloise said.  ‘Look, when you return, I will have a word with him.  We will be able to arrange something that we can hide from your mother.  I will select one of my girls, someone special and you can spend the night with her.  It will be my treat.’
Ulrich felt better and smiled at Eloise, but as he stepped forward to kiss her he saw  Peta standing open mouthed, as if she was about to protest.
‘I don’t know when we will be back, and there’s something I need to do.  I have to see my mother's family,’ Ulrich said.  ‘I am hoping to visit my grandfather’s estate, I believe it’s a day’s ride from Ricksham, but if I have time I would like to spend a night here.’
‘Good, we had better go and find Dafied.  I will come with you, since he did not come to say goodbye to me here.’

***

Miriam sat on the citadel roof terrace and wondered about the Dragon.  She was sure that it would not attack if they continued to sacrifice two women each morning.  It horrified her how she could calmly contemplate such a thing.  She was feeling glad that she was barred from the Harem, she could not bear to face the women who one day would be taken to be eaten by the Dragon.
The sound of a horn being blown broke her reverie.  She recognised it as the signal announcing the arrival of the next caravan of maidens selected for sacrifice.  The corps-women relaxing on the terrace began to move towards the stairwell, they were restricted from using the terrace when Miriam was not present, and she was now required to go to the gatehouse.
Once she reached the bottom of the stairs, it was only a short walk to the gatehouse guardroom.  She awaited the arrival of the first prisoner alone, but she could hear the groaning of the heavy gates being opened, and the sound of voices from the gatehouse increasing.  She heard Galien's voice as the corps-leader gave her usual terse and blunt welcome to the new inmates.  Galien led the first girl into the guardroom herself.  Miriam had not seen the woman so animated and there was a sparkle in her eyes making her seem more human.
The girl entered the room rubbing vivid red marks that circled her wrists.  She was taller than Miriam, but slightly shorter than Galien.  She walked into the room confidently, but still glanced around, looking for danger.
‘Stand in front of Miriam,’ Galien ordered.
The girl moved over to Miriam and looked her in the eyes.  Miriam looked back at the grey-green eyes and was surprised to sense anger.
‘There is nothing to worry about,’ Galien reassured the girl and stepped up to her.  ‘As I said back there it is possible to lead a long life here in the Citadel, so there is no immediate danger.’
Miriam noticed the girl relax.
‘Good,’ said Galien as she reached up and ran her fingers through the girl’s golden curls.  ‘You have such beautiful hair.’
‘Thank you,’ the girl replied.
Miriam commenced her search.  She lifted the girl’s arms and felt along the torn grubby sleeves of her blouse.
‘Are you hurt,’ Miriam asked her.
‘Only my wrists, they forced me into manacles,’ the girl replied, before realising what Miriam had meant.  ‘Oh, the state of my clothes.  No they didn't touch me, I work in these clothes.  They didn’t let me change when they came for me.’
‘We will find something nicer for you,’ Galien said.
Miriam reached round and ran her hands over the rest of the blouse checking for concealed weapons or metal objects.
‘What is your name?’ Galien asked.
‘Idela.’
‘How lovely.’
Miriam looked at Galien, surprised at the warmth and welcoming tone in her voice.  She knelt down and started to feel the material of Idela’s skirts.  She wore only a couple of layers so the search did not last too long.
‘Where are you from, Idela?’ Galien enquired.
‘Twofords,’ Idela replied.
Something tugged at Miriam’s memory.  A face flashed through her thoughts, and a name, Peta.
‘I am surprised that you have not found a husband,’ Galien said.  She was standing close to Idela, and Miriam could see the older woman watching the new girl intently.
‘I was betrothed, but he was killed,’ Idela replied.
Miriam did not sense any true loss in Idela’s emotions, but she knew girls were rushed into marriages to avoid selection.
‘I am sorry,’ Galien said and put a comforting hand on Idela’s shoulder.  Idela smiled back.
‘Mother was trying to arrange another betrothal when I was taken.’
An image of a woman appeared in Idela’s thoughts.  Miriam sensed the girl’s love for her mother.  The image was unclear, she saw the woman and felt Idela’s love but something was wrong.  Something was telling her that the woman was not Idela’s mother.  She sat back confused; she had only ever sensed other people’s emotions and thoughts.  Now she saw someone who Idela believed was her mother, but a hidden sense was telling her that the girl and the woman were unrelated.  She had always known when someone was lying to her and assumed that she sensed their guilt.  What if her senses could see the truth, even if the person did not know they were lying.
There were two other people in Idela’s mind.  She was at a smithy.  The smith was absent, but his wife was there.  Miriam knew her face; it was Peta’s teacher.
Miriam realised that she was seeing the negotiations Idela had referred to, but again the reality she sensed did not match the emotions.  She could feel warmth from Idela towards the last person she could sense, the hoped for match for Idela.
Galien cleared her throat, interrupting Miriam’s exploration of Idela’s mind. 'You haven't finished your search,' Galien said, 'you know how important it is to be thorough.'
Miriam swallowed, he knew what was expected of her next, despite Miriam’s gift, Galien insisted upon the most intimate of searches when a girl arrived who she found attractive.  Miriam reached under Idela’s skirts and gently felt up each leg, making sure nothing was strapped to them.  Her gift rendered the whole physical search unnecessary, she was aware when someone had contraband hidden; she saw it in their thoughts.  However, Galien would want to see for herself how Idela reacted to intimate contact from another woman.
She looked up at Galien hoping that the next part of the search would not be required, but Galien nodded impatiently.  Miriam, moved her hand up higher, and as she gently touched the soft skin of Idela’s inner thigh, she sensed revulsion flood through Idela’s thoughts.  The feelings made it clear that Galien would have no joy here.
Miriam brought her thumb and forefinger together, ready to pinch Idela’s flesh, a trick she used to make Galien think she had been more intimate than she had been.
Suddenly, both of Idela’s fists suddenly crashed onto her head, taking her completely by surprise.  Almost simultaneously, Idela’s knee smashed into her jaw, slamming her teeth together.  The blow jerked her head backwards and flashes disturbed her vision.  When it cleared, she found herself lying on her back looking up at Idela, the girl’s eyes open wide and angry, her chest heaving and her breath rasping through her flared nostrils.
‘I’m sorry, Miriam should have warned you, but it is necessary.  We have to be sure that you are not smuggling any weapons or poisons upon or within your body.  You will be shocked at the lengths some girls will go to.’
‘And confirm that I am still a virgin,’ Idela said, her voice still full of anger, ‘Well I’m not.’
The images in Idela’s mind confirmed her claim, and Miriam nodded to Galien.
‘Oh dear, this is awkward.  I am afraid that once inside the citadel a woman cannot return,’ Galien said.
‘So I am stuck here for the rest of my life?’ Idela asked.
‘Yes,’ Galien replied.  ‘As I said to the group, you may not be sacrificed straight away.  Each day we select the victims by lottery, but some women survive several years before their lot comes up.’
‘But I’m not eligible,’ Idela reminded her.
‘I am sorry,’ Galien said in a soft consolatory tone, ‘but the Dragon will eat anyone.’
‘But Serilda.’
‘Is a myth.’
Miriam picked herself up from the floor and dusted her leather clothes.  ‘You could join the corps,’ she suggested.
Idela looked at her, the look on her face showing that she did not comprehend.
‘We are the corps,’ Galien explained, ‘We administer this place.  We cook, clean, repair and act as guards.  In return we do not get sacrificed.’
‘That sounds good,’ Idela said, ‘but what’s the drawback.’
‘You are stuck within the walls of the citadel for the rest of your life,’ Galien said, 'and there are no men.'
Miriam sensed the disappointment in Idela's mind, clearly, this young woman craved the physical attentions of men, and celibacy would be a torment to her.  Miriam guessed that Galien intended to take advantage of this and offer herself as a substitute.
‘What is the alternative?’
‘You live in the Harem, you do no work, and the corps‑women do everything for you.  If your dress is torn, we mend it.  If you are hungry, we feed you.  We make the beds, clean the rooms, deliver your food and take away the dishes for cleaning.  If want to be washed, we will bathe you.’
‘That sounds nice.’
‘But there is a price,’ Galien warned, ‘every day you face the possibility that your name will be drawn from the lottery.  If that happens, you are taken and sacrificed to the Dragon.’
Miriam remained silent, and watched Idela as she calmed down.  She did not need her gift to see from the girl’s face that she was absorbing the information Galien was giving her and trying to formulate a plan.
‘Your name could be drawn tomorrow, or never,’ Galien continued.  ‘We have four elderly women.  If you survive until your bleeds stop, your name is withdrawn.’
‘How many women live in the Harem?’ Idela asked, she must have been working out her chances.
‘Nine hundred and seventy four.’
Miriam failed to stifle a gasp and Galien gave her a fierce stare.  Never having been to the Harem she did not know how many inmates there were.  The sheer number staggered her.  She had quickly learnt that the girls arrived in groups, not singly, and the caravans were not regular.  She found it hard to work out how fast the victims were arriving, but she had assumed that it equated to roughly one per day.
‘That’s an exact number,’ Idela said.
‘I need to know how many empty beds need to be filled by the Selector, and let him know when he visits.’
‘The Selector comes here?’ Miriam asked.
‘Yes,’ he is the only man allowed into the citadel, and is the only person allowed to leave.’
‘Does he know that we are sacrificing two girls a day?’ Miriam asked.
‘Not yet, I will tell him when he next visits.’
‘What do you mean two girls are sacrificed?’ Idela asked, concern written all over her face.
‘We have had to double the daily sacrifices to stop the Dragon taking other girls.  The Selector must increase the number of selections to fill the empty beds.’
‘I would like to join the corps,’ Idela declared, ‘how do I join?’
‘A wise decision,’ Galien replied, ‘but there are no vacancies at present.  I decide who joins the corps.  You seem to be the sort of girl we are after, but I will need to get to know you better.  Come with me I will show you the Harem.’
Miriam watched Galien lead Idela from the guardroom through the door leading towards the Harem.  As the door closed, she noticed Galien place a guiding arm around Idela’s waist.
With Galien gone, Miriam had to go to the gatehouse for the next arrival.  The corps-women guarding the awaiting girls were clearly impatient, and a few unguarded comments from the more senior of their rank, showed that they knew Galien was to blame for the delay.
Cecilia oversaw the rest of the searches, and was more relaxed about the procedure.  Miriam only had to feel a new arrival’s mind as Cecilia questioned them, to know that they were not hiding any contraband.
The last girl processed, Miriam sought out Tilla.  She found her in the tannery, next to the butchery.
‘Hello,’ Miriam greeted her, ‘what are you doing in here.’
She looked at her fellow countrywoman searching through the piles of hides.
‘Trying to find softer leather, this armour really rubs me,’ her friend explained.
‘Let me help you,’ Miriam said, and started to lift the hides for inspection and then discard them onto a new pile.  ‘I could use something more comfortable too.  I need to talk with you.  I think I might have found someone who will help us.’
‘Who?’
‘Her name is Idela and she’s from a village called Twofords in Runedor, that is where that midwife who was captured then released, was from.’
‘How does that help us?’ Tilla asked, pausing her search.
‘I’m not sure, but my mother predicted the daughter of a midwife would one day save me from great danger.  I think this girl might know something about this midwife, I sensed something different about her.  She may know if the midwife has a daughter, but I need to find out.  I have got to get into the Harem.’
‘Please don’t do anything hasty Miriam; wait until Galien will trust you in there.’

No comments:

Post a Comment